Dinner at Madonna Inn
Dinner tonight at the famous Madonna Inn in San Luis Obispo, California. It began with an early California inspired antipasto: a mix of cured peppers, vegetables salami and mozzarella. There were even green onions.
The table appeared to made of oak and was topped with glass drinking goblets of colors ranging from blue to pink to yellow, all pastels except fro when hit by the light. A brass chandelier hung over the table and a pair of copper (faux) salt and pepper shakers finished off the settings The silver ware was just that, silver and our bread and butter plates were painted in imitation of Victorian era china. If you've never been to the inn it's worth a look. Gaudy, over the top and out dated it is representative of what many tourists love to visit. Don't stay long though, just pop your head in; the colors paired with rose emblazon carpet and giant rock formations can be dizzying. www.madonnainn.com
For dinner I had a small green salad with blue cheese; made with Roquefort blue cheese the "crumbles" were a creamy chunk of the delightful moldy chevre. The salad itself wasn't much to shout about a simple arrangement of iceberg lettuce, purple cabbage, shredded carrots and one lone cherry tomato. My entree, a plate of beef ribs, no doubt grain fed, were tender and a little fatty. The barbecue sauce is of their own creation and had a nice zing. To go with the dinner I picked a glass of 2002 Stephen Ross, Dante Dusi Zinfandel.
These zin grapes come from a vineyard that is reaching cult like status among Paso Robles zin drinkers. One of the oldest zinfandel vineyards in the region the vineyard does not allow the wineries they sell too to have much of an input, if any, into how the grapes are grown, pruned and watered. I think their thinking is, if we've done so well for so long why mess with it and I agree. Knowing this about the grapes I was surprised to find the wine rather small. A promising nose of fruit and spice the palate had too much acid, overpowering the subtle flavors of meat, jam and spice. After a brief discussion with my husband, a new winemaker, we came to the conclusion that the wine was aged in mainly used oak.
This is from the winery's web site: "The winemaking style focuses on balance, fruit flavors, moderate French oak, and a ripe but restrained alcohol level. " I'm not to sure what "moderate French oak" means and I soon as I figure it out I'll post my findings. Any input is appreciated.
All in all it was a nice dinner. The ribs came with a baked potato, perfectly cooked. The side of green beans were over done but vegetables can be difficult for a large restaurant to deal with, especially when so often the diners push them to the side. I'm not condoning mediocrity, just expressing my understanding.
My cousin enjoyed the filet mignon, which she said was cooked to her exact specifications. I recommended a glass of the 2003 Domaine Alfred Rhone blend, from Edna Valley and she was overjoyed with the results. Additionally she spread a bit of the Roquefort blue "crumbles" on her dish for a truly tasty treat.
The table appeared to made of oak and was topped with glass drinking goblets of colors ranging from blue to pink to yellow, all pastels except fro when hit by the light. A brass chandelier hung over the table and a pair of copper (faux) salt and pepper shakers finished off the settings The silver ware was just that, silver and our bread and butter plates were painted in imitation of Victorian era china. If you've never been to the inn it's worth a look. Gaudy, over the top and out dated it is representative of what many tourists love to visit. Don't stay long though, just pop your head in; the colors paired with rose emblazon carpet and giant rock formations can be dizzying. www.madonnainn.com
For dinner I had a small green salad with blue cheese; made with Roquefort blue cheese the "crumbles" were a creamy chunk of the delightful moldy chevre. The salad itself wasn't much to shout about a simple arrangement of iceberg lettuce, purple cabbage, shredded carrots and one lone cherry tomato. My entree, a plate of beef ribs, no doubt grain fed, were tender and a little fatty. The barbecue sauce is of their own creation and had a nice zing. To go with the dinner I picked a glass of 2002 Stephen Ross, Dante Dusi Zinfandel.
These zin grapes come from a vineyard that is reaching cult like status among Paso Robles zin drinkers. One of the oldest zinfandel vineyards in the region the vineyard does not allow the wineries they sell too to have much of an input, if any, into how the grapes are grown, pruned and watered. I think their thinking is, if we've done so well for so long why mess with it and I agree. Knowing this about the grapes I was surprised to find the wine rather small. A promising nose of fruit and spice the palate had too much acid, overpowering the subtle flavors of meat, jam and spice. After a brief discussion with my husband, a new winemaker, we came to the conclusion that the wine was aged in mainly used oak.
This is from the winery's web site: "The winemaking style focuses on balance, fruit flavors, moderate French oak, and a ripe but restrained alcohol level. " I'm not to sure what "moderate French oak" means and I soon as I figure it out I'll post my findings. Any input is appreciated.
All in all it was a nice dinner. The ribs came with a baked potato, perfectly cooked. The side of green beans were over done but vegetables can be difficult for a large restaurant to deal with, especially when so often the diners push them to the side. I'm not condoning mediocrity, just expressing my understanding.
My cousin enjoyed the filet mignon, which she said was cooked to her exact specifications. I recommended a glass of the 2003 Domaine Alfred Rhone blend, from Edna Valley and she was overjoyed with the results. Additionally she spread a bit of the Roquefort blue "crumbles" on her dish for a truly tasty treat.

2 Comments:
At 4:56 PM,
Canela said…
She was indeed overjoyed with your recommendation!
At 4:56 PM,
Canela said…
Your cousin, that is :-)
Post a Comment
<< Home