Wine Away the Day

I've worked around food in some form or another for going on eight years now. Wine is a more recent addition to my life. Thanks to a darling cousin with a passion for all things grapey I was introduced to the wonderful world of wine a bit at a time with trips to Los Olivos and Paso Robles in California and Burgundy and Champagne in France. In 2003 I dove in, head first, only to learn that I will never come close to knowing all there is to know about vino.

21 June 2006

Tasting Notes from Birthday Dinner for J

Adelaida 2002 Syrah, the Viking Estate Reserve (Paso Robles)
Nose: chocolate and coffee with subtle nuances of clove and nutmeg. For the first pour there was a slight sourness on the mid palate. By the second pour what ever was causing that had dissipated and a big cherry fruit dominated. Towards the end tobacco was in, sharing the spotlight with a return of chocolate and coffee.

Paring: A poached beet and goat cheese salad. Dinner of lamb while the gentlemen had seared duck


Babich 2004 S.B ,Marlburough
Crisp with citrus flavors but different from the 2003 in that there wasn’t much ruby red grapefruit.

Paired it with seared scallops on an edamame puree with a radish vinaigrette. With the food the classic New Zealand sauvignon blanc aroma of green bell pepper showed its strength.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home